Posted in Missions on September 8, 2009 |
2 Comments »
According to this site:
The “10/40 Window” is a missions term used to refer to the rectangular area of the world from 10 degrees to 40 degrees latitude. This rectangle stretches from Southeast Asia, across the Middle East, over to West Africa. The 10/40 Window is home to approximately 97% of the 2.5 billion unreached people in the world today. There are over 10,000 people groups in this window; 6,000 of those have never had access to the gospel. Think about this… Every day, more than 70,000 people die in this world without having ever heard the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Read Full Post »
Posted in church on September 8, 2009 |
Leave a Comment »
Jim Wilkerson provides 10 answers to this question:
1. It demonstrates our desire to fellowship with Christ in love (Rev.3:20) who instituted particular churches for his glory (Rev.1:17-20).
2. It demonstrates our desire to follow the apostolic example (Acts 2:41ff) and the commands of Christ in love (Heb.10:25; Jn.14:15, 21).
3. It demonstrates our desire to worship the triune God (Ps.84:1-2).
4. It demonstrates our desire to encourage and bless the body of Christ (Heb.10:24-25).
5. It demonstrates our desire to submit to Christ’s leadership and bring joy to the elders as we follow their teaching and example (Heb.13:7, 17; 1Thes.5:12-13).
6. It demonstrates our trust in God’s promises to build his church (Mt.16:18).
7. It demonstrates our calling the Lord’s Day a delight that we may delight ourselves in him (Isa.58:13-14).
8. It demonstrates our longing to grow in union with Christ and the hope of glory through his feeding us by his Word, Sacraments and fellowship (Dt.8:3; Jn.6:35ff; Col.2:2-3).
9. It demonstrates our desire to struggle against the world, our flesh and the Devil through his public means of grace to reach maturity in Christ and rest in him (Ps.73; Eph.4:11-16; Mt.11:25-30).
10. It demonstrates our desire to live by his grace in the membership vows we have made before him and his church for his glory (Eccl.5:4).
(I wouldn’t rephrase “membership vows” to “church covenant commitments”)
Here’s the post in its entirety.
Read Full Post »