For three Sunday evenings we spent some time searching and expounding the Scriptures on heaven! Some would say that we shouldn’t devote much emphasis to considering our eternal destiny and especially studying eschatology–the doctrine of last things. We discussed this as a congregation before I opened God’s Word on Sunday night. There were several excellent answers as to why we should study eschatology. Here are David Murray’s six reasons to do so–most of which were mentioned by our congregation that evening.
- Eschatology helps us to teach the church
- Eschatology helps us to worship God
- Eschatology helps us to serve with zeal
- Eschatology helps us prepare for judgment
- Eschatology helps us to hope in the midst of trouble
- Eschatology helps us to look forward to heaven.
Read Murray’s brief synopsis of each point above.
What are some other helpful reasons you can think of for studying eschatology? Leave a comment.